Applications for Best Rural Homestay Competition Open From Nov 15
The competition launched by the Ministry of Tourism aims to create rural experiences in tourism to promote indigenous jobs, and preserve local culture and heritage.
गाँव कनेक्शन 13 Nov 2023 10:30 AM GMT
The concept of rural homestays is picking up in India and driving rural tourism with a large number of tourists visiting the hinterland and staying at these homestays. In states such as Sikkim, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Kerala, several villages have adopted the model of homestays as a source of livelihood for the villagers.
To further promote rural homestays, the Ministry of Tourism has launched a national level rural homestay competition for which applications will be open from November 15 this month. It is being launched in partnership with the state, industry and other tourism stakeholders.
Rural homestays across India which are registered with National Integrated Database of Hospitality Industry (NIDHI), under the tourism ministry, can participate in this competition. Those who are not registered with this body cannot participate.
The main objective of the competition is to take advantage of India's rural heritage in creating a vibrant and responsible tourism segment. The competition aims to create rural experiences thereby promoting indigenous jobs, and preserving local culture and heritage. It will also help to foster entrepreneurship, livelihood and employment opportunities for growth and development through tourism.
The competition’s aim is also to understand the challenges and opportunities in developing the rural homestays as alternative rural accommodation in India. According to the ministry, it is an initiative towards Aatmanirbhar Bharat to use technology to empower businesses.
Further, the competition will serve as a platform for rural homestays to showcase their unique offerings, will allow tourists to explore new and captivating lodging options and experiences.
Eligibility criteria for applying
For applying in the competition, a homestay owner must have the following:
- Rural homestay should be located in the rural area.
- It must be in operation for at least one year.
- It should be registered with states/UTs.
- The host/owner should be free from any legal disputes.
- Applicants can apply in a maximum of up to three categories.
- There should be proper accessibility.
- The applications will be accepted in the English language only. For regional languages, states may provide assistance to the applicants general guidelines.
Categories under the competition
There are several categories of the homestays included in the competition such as vibrant village green, community driven, women-led unit, heritage and culture, farm, cottage, Ayurvedic and wellness, vernacular architecture, etc.
The best rural homestay competition will be held in three stages: district, state and national level.
How to apply
To fill out the application, go to rural tourism’s official website and click on the best rural homestay competition and create a user ID. After creating a user ID, the applicant has to create a password and save it for filling the complete form. The application and evaluation process will be as follows:
- Each property can nominate itself in a maximum of 3 categories only.
- The review and evaluation of applications will be done by the district level committee under the District Collector.
- The recommendation of a maximum of five rural homestays in each category by the district for the state level evaluation.
- The recommendations of a maximum of five rural homestays in each category by the state for the national level evaluation.
- The review and evaluation of applications by the national level committee under additional secretary (Tourism).
- The recognition of five rural homestays in each category at the national level.
Benefits of Rural Homestays
- The homestay will provide the tourist with accommodation and authentic local experience of the village and interaction with the local host community.
- It opens the possibilities to understand a new and unexplored place.
- The visitor also gets to know the unique lifestyle of the village at much closer quarters.
- The homestay may offer various activities for the guests to exclusively experience the cultural nuances of the area.
The competition is being conducted by the Central Nodal Agency Rural Tourism and Rural Homestay, a body under the tourism ministry.
To know more about the competition, click on the link below, or follow the social media handle of rural tourism on all social media platforms.